Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never before have a lot of new techniques and scientific advancements emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses countless individuals the chance to reduce or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and pain-free method to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help guarantee that you will enjoy with your results?
The crucial to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be fooled by expensive advertisements about a specific laser. Select the discover here medical professional, not the laser.
3. Pick a doctor who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a doctor doesn't know can injure you.
4. Request for details on your doctor's Continue LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. If your doctor won't inform you, find another one. For top cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask exactly what measures are taken to prevent infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sterilized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of advertisements pushing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as good as a discount parachute. The prospective cost savings are not worth the danger of getting less than professional care!
7. Continued Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, however do not anticipate to see completely. Each client gets a somewhat various outcome. The very best surgeon worldwide cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as private as each client. Beware of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you most likely are. You're not purchasing a car; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will most likely provide better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting up until the new lenses are available. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the advantages: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved the vision of countless people around the globe.